About the Kea Population Trends Study
Our goal is to measure long-term kea population trends.
The metric we seek is kea encounters per observer hour. To achieve this without bias, it is important that the instructions below are followed. It is equally important to record absence of kea as it is to record presence – for example, an hour with no kea sightings is as important to the analysis as an hour with sightings.
To avoid bias arising from observers commencing surveys because they have heard a kea, it is vital that you decide in advance of a trip whether or not you are going to survey on the trip. Having decided to survey, you need to continue surveying for the whole trip.
- You must be outside to be surveying
- Begin surveying at the first whole hour after leaving the vehicle or building.
- Complete the form for all hours on the form (grey hours to be completed in summer only)
- Summer 0600–2100 (Oct-Mar)
- Winter 0700–1900 (Apr-Sep)
- If you haven’t started, or have finished for the day, put X (Not Surveying).
- If you see or hear kea, put Y in the kea box for the hour regardless of the number of kea.
- Record the largest group of kea you saw during the day.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
- How do I know what grid square I’m in?
- Get a grid square map before you go from: https://survey.keadatabase.nz/grid. You can download a GPX for your GPS.
- If you’re not exactly certain of the grid square, make a best-guess.
If you forgot your map, note your locations and make a best guess of the grid square later.
- What if I hear a kea when I’m inside a vehicle or hut?
- This cannot be counted, however please add this to http://keadatabase.nz.
- What if I see a banded kea while surveying?
- The encounter is relevant to the survey, but the bands are not. The bands should be added to http://keadatabase.nz.
- How would I record an hour split between two or more grid squares?
- Record the grid square in which the most time was spent.
- What if I start my activity part way through an hour?
- The hour should be marked X (Not Surveying). Start surveying at the next whole hour.
- What if I stop my activity part way through an hour (e.g. lunch in a hut)?
- The hour should be marked X (Not Surveying)
- Should I record the weather or other variables?
- No, weather will be collected from external sources.
- Am I still surveying if I’m in a tent?
- Yes, up until the last survey hour.
- If I heard but did not see kea, do I note this under ‘Max Kea Seen’